CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Listeners and Other Whispers of Fantasy



Last November, I checked out a book from our school library. It was an old book, beaten, but not precisely worn, jet black but for the small white sheet that held Dewey’s dear print. The publication was Japanese, of all things, with an introduction in Japanese characters (which is sad; I would pay dearly to know what it says). But the subject of the book was a today little-known English poet/writer. His name was Walter de la Mare.

Walter de la Mare, of French Huguenot descent, worked as a statistician for an English company called Standard Oil. He was a family man, and an avid writer from the start. He wrote several books of poems and stories, both for children and adults, and had very interesting theories about imagination.

If I understand his theory right (and I only just started to study up on him), de la Mare believed that there were two types of imagination: the childlike and the boylike. Most often, we all start with the childlike, which is accepting of things fantastic, such as Dragons and magic swords, but as we grow, we develop the boylike imagination, which takes us away from those things, being more analytical. This progression, de la Mare believed, was a response to the terrors of the world (which one might conceive of as “unnatural,” if one were so inclined) that, as it were, frighten the childlike imagination away. However, de la Mare believed that it was the childlike imagination that was more natural and fitting, and this is the part which he sought to awaken in his work.

I would like to give you a sampling of his work. The first is his most famous work, the poem called “The Listeners,” which is what I first read that enthralled me so with his most powerful pen:

"Is anybody there?" said the Traveler,
Knocking on the moonlit door;
And his horse in the silence chomped the grasses
Of the forest's ferny floor.
And a bird flew up out of the turret,
Above the traveler's head:
And he smote upon the door a second time;
"Is there anybody there?" he said.
But no one descended to the Traveler;
No head from the leaf-fringed sill
Leaned over and looked into his gray eyes,
Where he stood perplexed and still.
But only a host of phantom listeners
That dwelt in the lone house then
Stood listening in the quiet of the moonlight
To that voice from the world of men;
Stood thronging the faint moonbeams on the dark stair
That goes down to the empty hall,
Hearkening in an air stirred and shaken
By the lonely Traveler's call.
And he felt in his heart their strangeness,
Their stillness answering his cry,
While his horse moved, cropping the dark turf,
'Neath the starred and leafy sky;
For he suddenly smote the door, even
Louder, and lifted his head:
"Tell them I came, and no one answered,
That I kept my word," he said.
Never the least stir made the listeners,
Though every word he spake
Fell echoing through the shadowiness of the still house
From the one man left awake:
Aye, they heard his foot upon the stirrup,
And the sound of iron on stone,
And how the silence surged softly backward,
When the plunging hoofs were gone.


Oh! It calls to the heart and imagination in the very way a poem should. It tells a story, indeed, it does. But it is a fragmented story. It is an echo of a story, of which we only have pieces that are confusing and hard to put together. Who is this man? How does he represent the “World of Men?” Who is he seeking to contact, and what was the promise that brought him? What is this place, who once lived here, and why have they retreated so, only listening now, and doing naught else? We have no answers. Only are own imagination can fill in the gaps.

But it is a powerful story. We can feel the power, the ancientness of the place, a place that once had great meaning. It is written in heavy language; like cumbersome acrylic oils upon blank, white canvas, it whispers of subtleties barely known and just out of reach.

Or here’s another, a bit more furtive, called “The Familiar”:

“Are you far away?”
“yes, I am far – far;
Where the green wave shelves to the sand,
And the rainbows are;
And an ageless sun beats fierce
From an empty sky:
There, O thou Shadow forlorn;
Is the wraith of thee, I.”

“Are you happy, most Lone?”
“Happy, forsooth!
Who am eyes of the air; voice of the foam;
Ah, happy in truth/.
My hair is astream, this cheek
Glistens like silver, and see,
As the gold to the dross, the ghost in the mirk,
I am calling to thee.”

“Nay, I am bound,
And your cry faints out in my mind,
Peace not on earth have I found,
Yet to earth I am resigned,
Cease thy shrill mockery, Voice,
Nor answer again.”
“O Master, thick cloud shuts thee out
And cold tempests of rain.”


Again, the questions. Who is speaking to whom? What are they talking about? There is no doubt; the sense of story lingers thick because of the very questions themselves. We want the answers to fill in the gaps. We want the Story.

I submit that in these poems, and many others of his, there is the crucial element of story, and more often than not, fantasy is his vehicle of communication. Something about the realm of fantasy lends itself to mystery and inspiration, explanation and wonderment, and that is why I think it will continue to be a call to people, especially as we become more modern and more lost in the “boylike imagination” that rejects, or at least ignores, these deep things. And that is why poems like Walter de la Mare’s must be read, and cherished. Because they whisper to us stories of great importance, and they whisper to that part of us that needs to hear them the most.

***

I read the book again and again and finally, I found, I could not part with it. I could not give it up to the library. So I went in and said, “I would like to buy this book from you.”
The guy looked at me curiously, then said, “Well, let’s see how many times it’s been checked out.” He took the book from my tense hands and looked at it with a cocked eyebrow. “Walter de la Mare,” he read slowly. “Never heard of him.” He ran the cold, white barcode through his computer and then straightened. “Well, looks like this has never been checked out!”

“Really?” I asked, honestly flabbergasted.

“Well, not since we have gone electronic, nope. Sure, we’ll sell it to ya.”

I was frozen a moment. Shall I really rob this already lopsided, lacking library of this prize? And yet, no one even knew of it. No one had checked out this lonely book. None here knew of its secrets. Then I grabbed the book greedily, and reached in my pocket. “I’ll take it.” He ripped off the barcode then, I gave him my money, and I walked out.

As I came to the doors, I saw that it was cold and rainy out. I smiled. I got the feeling that this was the kind of day ole Walter would have liked.

6 comments:

DKiges said...

glad to see that you are posting again. there is something that is missing in our culture. it is the medium of literature. our culture still tells stories but the medium is different. i really wish there was a way that poetry and literature would be a stronger medium, or that the current mediums of tv and movies would incorporate more the beauty of literature. i rambled, sorry. we should start a poets society.

Alex said...

I agree. A DEAD poets society. But for real.

I think that is why Fantasy is so important. Sure, there is kitch Fantasy out there, same as any genre. But I do believe that Fantasy is doing a work to keep beautiful mediums, such as Poetry, alive. Although I must add that Literature and Poetry will ne'er truly die.

Jordan D. Wood said...

Great post Alex. I was wondering if, when you have time, you could write a post on Fantasy/Poetry in general. I would like to hear your thoughts on where a beginner would start in attempting to cross the corridor of this alien world that is Fantasy. Who do we read? Do we jump right into the books themselves, or, like many other subjects/fields, do we read a "general synopsis" from a scholar? Anyway, consider this your assignment--indefinitely due, of course.

DKiges said...

I agree with Jordan. Alex must needs write that post. Soon.

Alex said...

I don't know if a post is necessary. Perhaps on poetry, but concerning Fantasy, the answer, I think, is simple. Tolkien is the place to start. In many ways, he was the pioneer. He brought it back to us. Sure, there were other writers that were writing Fantasy before and after him, but no one defined, popularized, or characterized the genre as he did. In all reality, he showed us what Fantasy truly could be, taking it to a place and limit that no one has yet to match. And for this reason, he still towers over the entire genre as its most powerful figure.

Now, I would suggest that you start with the Hobbit and read on through LotR. However, if you would like a scholarly synopsis of the genre, I would suggest reading Tolkien's article, "On Fairy-Stories." It is fantastic (no pun intended), and it kind of deconstructs Fantasy to a certain degree and attempts to isolate certain aspects that make it work, as well as define what makes a Fantasy.

But I would definitely recommend "jumping in," certainly beginning with Tolkien. The best way to learn about Fantasy is to be taken by it, and see what it does inside of you. After all, Fantasy is, in the end, about stories, and the best way to learn about stories is to experience them.

Does that answer your question, or were you looking for more?

Jordan D. Wood said...

That does well enough for now, my friend, though I may continue at a more relevant time. Thanks bro.